The end of my second pregnancy is drawing near, and I am full-force into preparation mode. House purging/cleaning projects, hospital bag packing, and freezer meal prep.
My postpartum nutritious focus has always been whole grains, healthy fats, lots of fiber, and warming foods to optimize gut health and healing while supporting breastmilk production.
Here are all the things I’m putting into my freezer for quick and simple meals:
Soups are incredibly healing, both in their ability to have so much whole food diversity for a variety of micronutrients, and their warmth. Warming foods, both in temperature and spices, take less energy to digest which means more energy can go to the healing sites.
- Thai soup https://greensbeansandlovealways.ca/2022/03/08/thai-soup/
- Wild rice & mushroom soup https://www.simplyquinoa.com/creamy-mushroom-wild-rice-soup/
- Tortilla soup https://eatwithclarity.com/vegan-tortilla-soup/
Lentil Shepherds Pie from the Plant Over Processed cookbook by Andrea Hannemann. These are easy to whip up and bake for an hour (covered) to thaw for a completely hands off meal.
- Lentil bolognese https://rainbowplantlife.com/10-ingredient-vegan-red-lentil-bolognese/
- Butternut pasta sauce (coming soon to GBL blog)
- Lentil & mushroom marinara – this one originates from the Yum & Yummer cookbook and is loaded with veggies, beans, and uses a shortcut with storebought marinara and canned tomatoes.
Gnocchi makes a quick & filling base for soups or pasta dishes. https://www.thecuriouschickpea.com/homemade-vegan-gnocchi-recipe/
Pancakes and waffles freeze beautifully and make for a quick toaster breakfast!
- Blender oatcakes https://greensbeansandlovealways.ca/2022/09/28/blender-oatcakes/
- Green Pancakes https://greensbeansandlovealways.ca/2022/03/03/green-pancakes/
- Applesauce Waffles https://greensbeansandlovealways.ca/2022/03/17/whole-wheat-applesauce-waffles/
Brown rice is a bit of a pain to make, especially when babies demand to nurse and toddlers want attention – great thing is it freezes nicely! I’ll be batch cooking in the instant pot and freezing a couple portions for family meals: https://www.loveandlemons.com/instant-pot-brown-rice/#wprm-recipe-container-61578
Enchilada sauce to pair nicely with my tortillas: https://cookieandkate.com/enchilada-sauce-recipe/
Freezer packaged produce: mixed veggies (carrots, corn, peas), mixed berries, bananas, mangos, leafy greens, broccoli, and beans.
And finally, since we are preparing for a planned caesarean, I am hoping to do some meal prep the day before to have nourishing food in the hospital. Salad jars, yogurt parfaits, muffins, along with prepackaged protein bars and my favourite electrolyte powder, Beachbody Hydrate. Our hospital does provide meals for the mother, but they were barely on the scale of appetizing or nourishing, so I’m aiming for comfort in the time of healing!
If you are an expecting (or just busy) mama/parent, I hope this gives you some ideas to stay prepared with nourishing family meals and ingredients for easy cooking!